Dear Students and Parents,
As we implement e-Learning in District 207, the district is excited about the possibilities it brings for students and teachers. While the approach is different, there are also many advantages to this learning platform.
One approach is to hold live class meetings via Google Meets or Zoom for Education. Despite some of the recent news reports concerning Zoom’s Basic platform in particular, we have privacy agreements with each vendor to protect student privacy and student information. Please know these sessions are often recorded so students who cannot participate in the live meeting can go back and reference what they missed at a later time. Your child has the right not to be recorded or have their image shown and if they would like to exercise this right they should let their teacher know. Each platform also has features for attendees to mute their microphones and turn off their video if students would like to participate but not be seen or heard.
While we have full confidence that our students will follow our school norms virtually just as they do when physically present in our school building, here are some basic expectations for engaging in a live video classroom session to create a safe environment in which to learn:
- You should only attend video sessions for your classes.
- You should follow the acceptable use policy for electronics – in this case you should not share any screenshots, photos or videos of a live or recorded video classroom session.
- Be on-time to the session.
- Wait your turn to speak.
- Follow all procedures established by your teacher.
- Keep in mind the feelings and opinions of others, even if they differ from your own. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t say it online either. Inappropriate language, images, gestures will be handled just as if they occurred at school.
- Find a neutral backdrop (closed closet door, blank or minimally decorated and/or appropriate wall) when you are on video to minimize distractions to others in the session. Remember – you can always join without video.
- Dress appropriately – you know the school dress code and it applies for a video classroom session.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please email your teacher or me directly. We are here for you and to ensure a safe and productive learning environment both in person and online.
We miss you and can’t wait until we see you again!
Dr. Michael Pressler, Principal Maine East
Dr. Ben Collins, Principal Maine South
Dr. Eileen McMahon, Principal Maine West