The following information was shared with parents, students and staff on 2/27/20. The District will continue to monitor the situation and provided updates if/when needed.
Dear District 207 Families, Students and Staff –
The District is providing additional information related to Coronavirus, a respiratory illness, given yesterday’s announcement from the Centers for Disease Control indicating more cases are likely and that person-to-person spread of the virus is expected to continue to occur in the United States.
Please know there are NO reported cases of Coronavirus connected to District 207, Frost Academy, Maine East, Maine South or Maine West.
The District is taking a proactive approach to the situation by staying in constant contact with local and state health officials, providing information to parents, students and staff, and following the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines for Illinois schools to help avoid the spread of the virus, including:
- Encouraging staff and students to wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, staff and students are encouraged to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer which is available in large group spaces in the schools and other areas such as the nurses’ office.
- Asking staff and students to avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Asking staff and students to avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Instructing staff and students to stay home when sick.
- Asking staff and students to cover their cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
In addition, the schools are cleaned and disinfected daily as part of ongoing custodial services in the schools, which is another recommendation from the IDPH. That cleaning includes daily sanitation of high touch areas like door handles and faucets. In addition, classroom desks are cleaned and sanitized each day.
District 207 will continue to follow all recommendations from federal, state and local entities concerning the Coronavirus. Finally, District 207 staff are discussing strategies in the event there are extended school illnesses or there is cause to close school.
To learn more about Coronavirus, please visit:
The District is committed to sharing information with parents, students and staff to ensure the health and safety of our school community.