Maine East Fine Arts teacher Karen Hall has received well-deserved statewide recognition, honored as a recipient of the 2018 Awards of Honor by The Board of Directors of the Illinois Theatre Association. Hall was among nine honorees recognized during an August 25 awards presentation during the Illinois Theatre Association’s Annual Red Carpet Gala at Drury Lane Theatre in Oakbrook.
Annually since 1986 the Illinois Theatre Association recognizes individuals and organizations which have made significant contributions to promoting quality theatre throughout the state. Hall was nominated by representatives from Illinois’ vast theatre community, approved by ITA’s divisional representatives and accepted by ITA’s Board of Directors.
“We are thrilled to provide this much-deserved recognition to prime movers in academic, community and professional theatre and to celebrate their noteworthy accomplishments,” said Aimee-Lynn Newlan, ITA Executive Director. “Ms. Hall’s work with the ITA and the theatre community at large has been exemplary.”
Maine East Fine Arts Chair Ed Eubank said, “Each one of us fortunate enough to work with Karen know of her outstanding theatrical skill, exceptional teaching practice and deep care for kids. We are proud to have her as one of our own at Maine East.”
The mission of the Illinois Theatre Association is to advocate for the art of quality theatre in Illinois by:
- Establishing in Illinois a membership similar in purpose to and affiliated with national theatre organizations
- Encouraging a closer understanding and communication among community, educational and professional theatre practitioners
- Informing the general public of the diverse nature and rich extent of Illinois theatre
- Advocating for the art of theatre throughout the state
- Cooperating with appropriate state and federal agencies and with regional/national theatre organizations in promoting increased participation and program development for Illinois theatre at all levels
- Promoting and perpetuating the highest caliber of theatre production, teaching and research within the State
- Affirming the crucial value of theatre in the lives of all individuals
The ITA, founded in 1974, provides numerous services and programs throughout Illinois, including high school and community theatre festivals, conferences, focus groups, professional development workshops, publications and statewide professional theatre auditions. In its diverse activities, the ITA strives to become “the representative association for all things theatre in Illinois.” The ITA is comprised of six divisions: College/University Theatre, Community Theatre, Creative Drama, Professional Theatre, Secondary School Theatre, and Theatre for Young Audiences.