In order to graduate from the Maine Township high schools, students must earn a minimum of 23.25 units of credit including:
Earning a Maine Township Diploma
- Four units of English.
- Three units of Mathematics. Computer courses do not meet the three-unit requirement in Mathematics.
- Three units in courses offered by the Social Science Department, including one unit in U.S. History and one-half (½) unit in Government.
- Three units of a laboratory Science.
- Satisfactory completion of one-fourth (¼) unit, or exemption from, Physical Education during each semester of high school enrollment, with the exception of one semester during the sophomore year when all students are required to enroll in Health. The weighted grade point average does not include Physical Education.
- Satisfactory completion of one-half (½) unit of Health. The grade point average does include the Health grade.
- Satisfactory completion of one-quarter (¼) unit of Consumer Education. Successful completion of a course in Introduction to Business, Economics, or AP Macro and/or Micro Economics exempts students from the ¼ unit requirement of Consumer Education.
- Thirty (30) hours of instruction in Safety Education (driver education classroom instruction). The driver education course grants one-half (½) unit of credit if taken in one of the Maine Township High Schools; the district may waive this requirement upon presentation of successful completion of a driver education course from a private agency. The grade point average does not include Driver Education.
- Two units of credit from any of the following: Fine Arts (music, speech, drama, art), Foreign Language or Career & Technical Education (family & consumer sciences, business, applied technology).
- One-quarter (¼) unit of Communication Arts. Successful completion of Communication Arts, Drama 1,2,3, or 4, Theater Communications, Technical Theater, Broadcasting, or Advanced TV & Film satisfies the 1/4 unit requirement of Communication Arts. Participation the in Debate Team exempts a student from this requirement as long as the student fulfills all the requirements of participation as specified in Board Policy and Procedures. Debate Team is not offered at Maine South. Participation in the Speech Team does not fulfill the Communication Arts requirement. The grade point average does include the Communication Arts grade.
- An examination of the Declaration of Independence, the Flag of the United States, the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Illinois known as the Constitution Test.
- A minimum of 5 units of elective credit.
In addition to fulfilling the above requirements, in order to obtain a District diploma, students must take the state mandated high school accountability exam. Exceptions to this requirement will be permitted if: (i) the student’s individualized educational program (IEP) developed pursuant to Article 14 of the Illinois School Code and the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act identifies the state mandated exam pursuant to Section 2-3.64(a) of the Illinois School Code due to the student’s lack of English language proficiency or (iii) the student is enrolled in a program of Adult and Continuing Education as defined in the Adult Education Act.